16 July 2010

Oh, Olivia...

My Olivia sure keeps me on my toes and turning four has only seemed to increase her flair for the dramatics, silliness and all around cuteness. I don't want to forget these little moments, so here are a couple of her latest shananigans... all in one day...

This morning, O came to me and very emphatically requested a band-aid, which is a frequent request since I purchased Princess band-aids at Target...
"Oh, no," I said with concern, "Did you hurt yourself?"
She looked at with with a puzzled expression and continued, "I need a band-aid for my head."
"For your head?" I asked confused.
"Yes!" she said with exasperation.
"Are you bleeding?"
"No, Mommy, for my hair..."
I suddenly realized she wanted a HEADBAND for her hair. Silly girl. With her highly developed vocabulary, I take for granted that she only just turned 4 and that sometimes she still mixes up terms.

Last week, we borrowed "Return of Jafar" from the Westminster Library. It instantly became a new favorite. She quickly renamed it to "Jafar Turner," (another example of her mixing words) and we joked that Jafar was related to Nana whose last name is Turner. Yesterday, during a day of errands, one stop was to the Westminster library to return books. And, yes, it was time to return "Jafar Turner." Once we returned it, she cried for at least 10 minutes with big, alligator tears streaming down her face and sobbed, "Jafar Turner... Jafar Turner... Jafar Turner," over and over again in the back seat of the car. After trying to settle her down, ensuring her that we could check it out again and on and on, I pulled out the Mommy big guns... I reminded her that our next stop was to buy her tap shoes for dance, BUT we would only be able to get her shoes if she acted like a big girl. Like magic, the tears turned off, she smiled a big smile and sweetly said, "Okay, I'm fine. I'm a big girl." Just like that and she was done. Sigh.

In the car on the way to the NEW library to check out books, Liv asked, "Where was I when you got married?"
I quickly responded, "You weren't born yet..."
And then the questions continued... Was I in your tummy? [No] So, where was I? [You weren't born yet.] But, where was I? [Sweetie, you weren't born.] So, was I with Nana? Did she watch me while you and Daddy got married? I was too little to go to the wedding? [No, you weren't born yet.] But, where WAS I? [We didn't know you yet...] Mommy, I had to be somewhere. Where WAS I? [Umm...] Heavy sigh. Oh, Mommy, never mind...

We recently added "Pocahontas" to our movie collection. (Actually, I picked up the VHS version at the Thrift Store for $2!) Liv has quickly taken to the movie and today I realized that she also loves the songs as illustrated by...
On the way into the shoe store, she stomped down the sidewalk singing, "Savages! Savages! Savages!" I know, very politcally correct. Yikes!
At the library, she stood on top of the foam play pieces with arms outstretched and began to sing, "Just around the riverbend..." When I asked her what she was doing, she said very matter of factly, "Mommy, I'm Pocahontas." Oh, right, I'm sorry, I forgot.

After rereading this post, it seems that Olivia does a lot of movie watching. She really doesn't watch movies ALL the time. And, while I'm thinking of it, I need to sign this child up for acting lessons...

No comments:

Post a Comment