02 June 2010

Running

I want to be a runner. To throw on my tennis shoes, jog out the front door and run like the wind. To enjoy every step and my beautiful surroundings and thank God that I am alive. But, alas, it is just not quite that easy. Each time I run, and I use that term loosely as jog would be the more appropriate term, I start with good intentions, but in no time at all, my breaths become shallow and labored. And, all that is running (no pun intended) through my mind is - At what point is it reasonable for me to begin to walk? It doesn't matter whether I'm outside or on the treadmill. It is hard. It hurts. And, I have to force myself to keep going.

I have a wonderful support system. My hubby agreed to let me get "real" running shoes from the Boulder Running Company, where I learned that I overpronate and I purchased a cute pair of pink Asics and a good running bra. My Sena took me to the BRC, helped me with a training program and finds to time to run with me after school and on the weekends. My friend, Sara, bought me the motivating and encouraging book Run Like a Mother and made me two running CDs - Run Fast I and Run Fast II. My friends, Karen and Tara, are also runners and we have shared stories and running mixes and encouraged each other.

So, because of their love and support and because I really want to be healthy and fit, I try again and again and again. I'm thinking that one day it will get easier. That my lungs won't fail me and I'll be able to sustain longer and longer runs. And, I hold on to the feeling that overtakes me when each run in completed - sheer bliss and relief, but also accomplished and strong! Another great motivator for my next run!


Thank you, my Sena, for logging another 3.5 miles with me around McIntosh Lake today. And, for letting me choose when we get to walk, but also pushing me by choosing when we start running again. I'm looking forward to more summer runs, but we'll have to make them early morning runs. You know how me and the heat don't agree, but that's another whole story!

No comments:

Post a Comment